So, you’re looking for a place to rent in San Antonio and surrounding areas?
As you’ve already seen… there are a lot of options in the San Antonio area for housing.
All the way from apartments in San Antonio to rental houses in San Antonio… condos… mobile homes, and more.
But if you’re having a hard time deciding if you want to rent a house or an apartment… check out our tips below on the “pros and cons” of renting a local house vs. the pros and cons of renting a local apartment . (also, see our blog post on pros and cons of Rent to Own Programs for more detailed info >)
Renting An Apartment vs Renting A House in San Antonio
Renting A San Antonio Apartment –
There are a lot of great apartments in San Antonio.
You’ve probably seen some brand new apartment complexes with all kinds of amenities like a swimming pool, gym, recreation area, and all kinds of other perks.
And you’ve probably come across some bare-bones apartments that barely gave you 4 walls and little else.
So here are some Pros for renting local apartments:
- Often rent is cheaper renting an apartment vs. renting a house
- Sometimes there are some additional services that are included in your rent (trash, water, cable, etc.)
- All maintenance is taken care of by the management (in a larger complexes, usually the maintenance person is there on-site and can repair things faster)
- Sometimes more apartment units are available than houses you want
- Amenities are often included like gyms, recreation rooms, pools, and more.
- Sometimes you can even access your neighbor’s wifi!
Here are some Cons of renting local apartments:
– You’re neighbors are sharing walls with you (sometimes on 3 sides of you)
– If you get an upstairs apartment it can be a pain getting your furniture up and down the stairs
– If you live in a large apartment complex where you’re sharing a parking lot… you’re likely to experience a door ding or two from your neighbors on your car.
– Usually, you don’t get a yard that’s just for you (if you do, it’s often very very small)
So what about renting a house in San Antonio?
Here are some Pros for renting local houses:
- You usually get more space than you do in an apartment (and more privacy)
- You don’t have to share walls with your neighbors
- You get the feeling of living in a home instead of a temporary apartment
- Usually, there are many other houses around you and it feels more like a real neighborhood… instead of a complex of other apartment buildings
- Sometimes several of the utilities are paid for
Here are some Cons for renting local houses:
- Sometimes you may be expected to do some of the minor maintenance yourself (not always though)
- Availability of nice rental houses that you want to live in can be limited
- You may have to pay a higher deposit with a house over an apartment
- Rent may be higher for a house of similar square footage than that of an apartment (because of the other benefits you’re paying for having a house as mentioned above)
So, What Kind of San Antonio Houses Should You Start to Look At
When all’s said and done, I can’t really say that local San Antonio apartments are better or worse than houses to rent or not.
It really comes down to your preference of what you want.
If you want more space and room to roam (without having to share walls with neighbors)… then renting a house may be the way you want to go.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for more options, lower prices, and extra amenities like a pool… then consider looking at the local apartments.
Or, another option for you is a local San Antonio rent to own home program.
Not sure what a “rent to own” home is?
Check out this page on our website that walks you through what a rent to own home (lease option) is.
If you’re interested in seeing some of the local rent to own houses San Antonio that are available, click on the link below to get on the list and see available homes. Our inventory goes quick due to our easy purchase programs. If you don’t find the house you’re looking for, chances are we’ll have a house in inventory soon that will meet your needs. If you’d like to be notified once a house becomes available that meets your criteria, please complete our Preliminary Home Ownership Application to join our Buyers List. Why rent when you can buy?
Or call us anytime at (210) 807-6567 if you have any questions and see if our San Antonio Rent To Own Program is right for you!